FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Park Hyatt Dubai REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
View Single Post
Old Nov 16, 2005, 7:07 am
Stewie Mac
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Park Hyatt Dubai - Live !!

Okay, I’ve now been at the PH Dubai for a couple of days, and have time to give you a report…

Location: the PH is in the grounds of the Dubai Creek Golf Club, built right on the creek between the main clubhouse and the building housing Boardwalk and Aquarium. The website talks of all rooms having ‘marina’ views, as most of the hotel is built by the marina, but the southern wing actually just looks out on the creek (from my balcony, where I’m writing this, it’s +/- 20 yards to the water). Having been from here to Jebel Ali and City Towers, traffic is a b1tch but then I think that’s true for Dubai as a whole.

Construction: it’s advertised as a resort hotel in the city, which is reflected in the style – very low-rise and spread out, lots of courtyards and fountains. It doesn’t feel like there’s 220 rooms here. Feels very mediterranean to me, which probably means that it’s quite arabic . Nice pool / pool area, although not even close to being big enough for half the people that the hotel can take. Excellent gym (totally unused), big spa (no idea if it’s any good or not).

Room: Nice… whacky, but nice. It is open-plan between the bedroom and bathroom – twin basins on the shelf between the two, a freestanding tub with separate toilet and shower stalls. Sounds strange, but it works for me. There’s a brief report on tripadvisor with some pictures which sort of show the layout. Nice bed/bedding, good toiletries (Blaise Mautin, never heard of them but shampoo and soap seem nice), plasma screen on wall that doesn’t really swivel out quite far enough for viewing in bed. Alarm clock is a little battery operated Braun effort which runs +/- 30 minutes slow per day, and the alarm wouldn’t wake an insomniac [insert name of something which really doesn’t sleep very well here].

F&B. Café Arabique is regular b’fast/lunch choice. Haven’t had breakfast there yet (only 4 hours difference but it makes getting up in the morning soooo tricky), lunch is meze buffet, fine. Thai kitchen is thai (doh), traiteur is fancy french, the terrace is bar/resto down by the marina – would have gone there last night but it had a gathering of the BBG. There’s too many resto choices for the guest count, so would imagine that they will be trying to get on the Dubai places-to-go map – that hasn’t happened yet. The Dubai Creek golf club choices (Broadway, Aquarium, Legends, Qd’s) are all within a very easy walk along the creekfront.

Service. Where it’s obvious that it’s only been open for eight weeks. They’re trying hard (when I arrived at 8am, the receptionist unasked found me a vacant room so I could have a nap; I was okay lying by the pool ), but it seems like they haven’t quite got the hang of it yet. Out the front door to get a cab – eight guys standing around, but no-one quite sure who’s actually calling for the cab. They’re trying, and it’ll come.

Summary: Having driven past the Grand Hyatt today, this place is a complete contrast – it’s low-key, it’s discreet, it’s out of the way. If you get a great rate like AED 1125 pn, when the Regency was looking for 1300, then bite their hand off. Just don’t use the business centre for checking your email – 36 dirham (that's $10) for 15 minutes

Any questions, holler – I’m here until Friday early am.

Stewie