FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flying on smaller jets
View Single Post
Old Oct 29, 2005, 6:03 pm
Lehava
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Advice from one who lives on RJ's

AA,

There are things to be afraid of on small jets... like will I be able to stand all the way up in the aisle, how much of my neighbor will be riding in my seat with me and whether your toothbrush will fit in the overhead bins, but the safety of the planes isnt one of them. These are incredibly safe planes with really great pilots. Have had the pleasure of sitting next to a few of the pilots who were non-rev'ing and in speaking to them they are as committed to what they do and our safety as any mainline pilots.

I have to fly CRJ's all the time (they are the largest thing in and out of my home airport) and used to be so excited when I would connect to a "real plane" (the big jets) but now actually try to take RJ's any time possible. Yes the seats are smaller and there arent the perks and upgrades but I find some real benefits in them:

1) as was mentioned ease of gate checking
2) I find the staff's friendlier, usually one FA and they seem happier and calmer
3) the service is much faster (drinks for 50 vs drinks for 500)
4) less chance of one or more screaming child or one of those people who doesnt know they cna use their "inside voice" on a plane being around meaning better chance for a quieter flight
5) Faster boarding and deplaning. This is especially beneficial if your flight is running late....think about it your flight is an hour late, they finally get the plane, do you want to wait while they board 500 people? 50 can be done in a flash. Same when deplaning to catch a tight connection.

I know we all bust on these tiny planes (I call them toothpaste tubes) but they are definitely safe and even have pluses. One thing to keep in mind is that many airports do not use the jet ways for them, so be prepared dress wise to be outside even in cold weather.