FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flying on smaller jets
View Single Post
Old Oct 29, 2005, 11:55 am
UAL_Rulez

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA LTP 2MM
Originally Posted by AAShel
Whenever I've booked flights I always try to stay on a plane no smaller than an MD80, due to me being a bit afraid of the smaller planes. I don't know why it kind of freaks me out, it just does. Mind you I've never been on one, just was on a prop plane when I was a kid but nothing happened.

Well, I'm on a gold challenge starting Dec 1, and I think I can make it if I take a multi-stop flight from MKE to ATL. Doing so would put me on a ER4 for a few of the legs...MKE to ORD and ATL to STL.

Just looking for some reassurance that I don't need to be wigging out over being on a small jet.......
Safety wise these planes are excellent. All the ERJs and CRJs have all glass cockpits and the most modern systems equal to (or in the case of the MD-80/DC-9/737 Classics, better than) any big jets. They also have an excellent overall safety record.

Where they fall short is in passenger comfort. A lot of us "wig out" at the thought of being stuck in one of these for hours on end, but not out of fear of crashing.