FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Insurance/coverage in Arizona (Avis PHX) What is the law ?
Old Oct 26, 2005, 2:52 am
Belgian in Paris

Programs: 2014 : BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum for Life , LH/LX Senator, Emirates Gold, Etihad Gold, CX Plat
Insurance/coverage in Arizona (Avis PHX) What is the law ?

Hi

Last time when I've rent a car on the internet (Avis) and pick it up at PHX the agent told me that he as no choice but adding the Avis insurance to the price or they can't give me the car. I argue that I have that insurance for free with my credit card and that on the rervation confirmation the LDW is listed as Optional Coverage (same for ALI). The agent told me that it was State law and that I must pay or leave the car.

Is it true ? If it is the law why not adding that insurance directly at reservation and why is is listed as Optional Coverage ? Is it the same for ALI ?

Next week I will be back in Phoenix and have a reservation with Avis for a full size, 3 WE days for 86 USD plus taxes and fees total 130 usd

Both LDW (23 plus taxes a day) and ALI (12 plus taxes a day) are listed in the optional coverage again (with API and PAI). One more time I understand that an optional coverage is optional. (I still have my credit card and don't want to pay more for the insurance than for the car).

What is the system in the US and mainly in Arizona ? Is the Avis.com site wrong or was the agent wrong ?

Thanks a lot

Hervé

Last edited by Belgian in Paris; Oct 26, 2005 at 2:55 am