FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New LAN Argentina flight MIA-EZE, but no AA Miles
Old Oct 25, 2005, 4:08 pm
FlyACN

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/ConciergeKey
Originally Posted by Ceasy
The laws of Argentina stipulate that no foreign entity can own a majority of an airline operating in its borders. As a matter of fact, I read an article in La Nacion a couple of weeks ago listing the owners of LAN Argentina. If I remember correctly, there were many Argentine individuals on that list.

I do think that this is a good move by LAN. Aerolineas Argentinas, the real alternative carrier in Argentina, is really not very good and has zero brand awareness in the USA outside of MIA, IMHO. Even domestically, I have found that their services pale in comparison to LANChile (I was on an Aerolineas Argentinas flight to Salta a couple of weeks ago - delayed flight and very modest service).
Ok folks… here is what I think. Let me start by saying that I was born and raised in Argentina, albeit from Lebanese parents… but “soy un porteño en mi corazón” (I am an Argentinean at heart!) hence, I may be biased.

LAN (and not LanChile) as they changed their names from Linea Aeras Nacionales to Latin American Network; has brand recondition and offers good service… I however refuse to fly them unless I’m flying the LanChile part of the airline. Why? Because they do not play fair…

The way Lan Argentina came to being is by bying LAFSCA, an Argentinean airline that was bankrupt. They signed agreement with the Argentinean government to absorb all of LAFSCA’s employees and fly only Argentinean registered aircraft… hence being a true Argentinean carrier competing with Aerolineas… just like AA and UA…

What really happened was LAN operated Chilean registered aircrafts, made sure every ex-EZE service that ends internationally such as EZE-MIA originates in SCL and did not integrate all of LAFSCA’s workforce into LAN Argentina.

Of course, transparency in that part of the world is no more than wishful thinking, so no one really raised an eye at this.

Going back to the original subject, I think LAN Argentina should be allowed to join OW, only when it becomes a full Argentinean carrier and competes fairly with Aerolineas… until this happens I would like to see Aerolineas in OW before Lan Argentina.

By the way, Aerolinea's domestic service is MOSTLY served by AUSTRAL and not Aerolinea's fleet...

Just my two cents!

Last edited by FlyACN; Oct 25, 2005 at 4:16 pm