FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Getting to/from _____ in the Los Angeles area" thread
Old Oct 25, 2005, 12:47 pm
mlshanks

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
Talking

Originally Posted by andrewp
Let's pretend for a moment that the only flights that I can get to the LA area are into LAX....

Assuming that I arrive LAX around 8:45 AM how long will it take me to drive to the Burbank area? I'm assuming 30 - 45 minutes... 405 - 101 - 134 - Hollywood Way.
If you are going w/ a car rental, I think you're a tad low in your time estimates, and would figure 60-75 minutes. Equally, I'd avoid the 101 as the 405 & 134 interchanges are both notorious for plugging up, even outside of rush hour traffic. Going N. on the 405 to Burbank Blvd. and then taking this surface street East (or dropping south to Magnolia Blvd. or Chandler Blvd. which are even better) is apt to save you real time instead of sitting in freeway congestion.

On the return suppose my meeting gets out at 5:00PM... How long will it take me to get to LAX (or should I catch a flight from BUR to LAS to LAX )?
I'd figure an hour and a half to two hours at 5 p.m.... Although if you go out to dinner in the Valley, and save your trip "over the hill" until after 6:30, I'd guess that you're back to looking at an hour to an hour and 15 minutes total travel time. Maybe eat somewhere in Encino on Ventura Blvd, which has almost any cuisine your heart might desire.

I know that I can take the MTR to Union Station and then Metrolink to BUR (and the same in reverse), but in looking at the timetables that's looking like potentially MORE frustrating than fighting traffic.
Actually, if I were trying to do an "all public transit" routing, I'd try going mostly Metro light rail rather than trying to transfer to the heavy rail Metrolink. Take the shuttle to the metro green line, green line to blue line, blue line to red line. The last station on the Metro Red Line is at Lankershim Bl. & Chandler Bl....and you should be able to catch a taxi from the waiting zone there, as Hollywood Way is less than 2 miles. As near as I can make out the schedules, you'd be looking at 2:00 to 2:15 in travel time. (For the bargain concious, using a "Metro Day Pass", less the taxi(s) at the Valley end, the whole trip would cost $3 )