FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Almost EXP??
Thread: Almost EXP??
View Single Post
Old Oct 20, 2005, 2:48 pm
Life_Platinum

Originally Posted by needmoremiles
I am planning to be at about 90k miles by year-end. Does anyone know if AA will give me EXP if I am close enough? What is their threshold for giving EXP??I have been Plat since 2000. Thanks.

I remember that one of frequent flyers posted that AA has set their entrance to EXP at 50 miles under the 100,000 mark. One can add current Q-Points to those that come from future bookings to see if you qualify.

I too am closing in on EXP again, and decided to do a mileage run. However nothing is more frustrating that after doing a mileage run, to find that those miles do not help you qualify. Thanks to some of the posts, I realized that some miles do not qualify toward Q-Points, the way I had hoped to qualify. These flights are some of the International Net SAAver fares such as what is being offered to KIX that and is sold for $619 from LGA. One of the posts pointed out that after flying on a similar fare which was in the "O" fare category, points were not awarded and upgrades were not possible. With this help in hand, I yesterday booked an S fare to KIX that will qualify me for Q Points, according to two EXP agents (Pamela in CT, and Ann in NC) and was able to upgrade. I printed the corresponding documents from AA's web site, discussed the problems these posts presented, and read the terms of the Restrictions on Net SAAver fares to AA's agents as well as a Table from AA's web site that points are awarded when booking in the S fare category with Ann. I was told not to worry, as miles from these flights will be counted to my qualification.

This is a complex situation, and sometimes the advice the AA's agents may give would be incorrect. I've found that Flyer talk posters offer far better advice and directions on how to qualify than many AA agents.

We look forward to hearing if you ultimately qualify.