FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why does BA fly into Islamabad but not Lahore or Karachi?
Old Oct 14, 2005, 1:41 am
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ajax
Have they? The vast majority of Kashmiris and Northern Punjabis in Britain live in the North Midlands and Yorkshire (Manchester and Bradford, for instance) and keep the MAN-ISB (8x weekly), MAN-KHI (2x weekly) and MAN-LHE (4x weekly) flights pretty full. I am pretty sure that most Pakistanis fly PIA rather than BA.
I was under the impression that there are more Mirpuris than Kashmiris in those areas. Is that incorrect? (Many Indians and Pakistanis -- and especially Pakistani Mirpuris -- claim to be Kashmiri in part or whole; however, a lot of those claims are very questionable/tangential, geographically-, linguistically-, & culturally-speaking.)

I ask because the Kashmiri (Kashmiri-speaking) population in the now Pakistani part of Kashmir has been quite small vis-a-vis the now Indian part of Kashmir, and because the numbers of Kashmiris who migrated to the areas you mentioned from the now Indian part of Kashmir -- where the overwhelming bulk of Kashmiris have been from -- has been quite small and far more recent than the Mirpuris migration. There are certainly a lot of ethnic Mirpuris and Punjabis in the UK, but not nearly as many Kashmiris there -- at least by measure of the ease in finding Pothohari (Mirpuri) and Punjabi speakers vs. finding Kashmiri (Kashmiri-speaking) ones.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 14, 2005 at 1:45 am