FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LUV Stock Discussion Thread
View Single Post
Old Oct 13, 2005, 3:57 pm
Mr. July

Programs: Amtrak slumbercoach value club
Good analysis; hope this validates a financial decision I also made - and helps out those WN employees who have their eyes on the stock price. Two thoughts come to mind -

First, at least here at BWI where Independence is still putting up a pretty good fight for someone without much to stand on, there has been some pretty good discounting. Despite the overall trend to raise fares, I actually flew Q3 on some of the lowest fares I've paid in some time. I agree that the average fare is likely to go up, and think that your estimates are conservative enough to hold - but if it's lower than you would otherwise expect, I wouldn't automatically assume that SWA is just manipulating the numbers (that's more my second point, I guess). There have been some pricing pressures, which will make average fare for Q4 especially interesting to watch.

Second, as much as I would like to see the huge numbers that appear to be warranted, I don't know why WN wouldn't give some guidance to try to get the analysts more in line. In this case, couldn't too big of a surprise backfire - these guys may know little, but I'm guessing they have egos? Don't know if there's accounting practices (e.g. faster depreciation) or special charges that might get the bottom line closer to what's been predicted, but I would think these may come into play.

Originally Posted by gregorygrady
...Honestly it could be much higher, it could even be ~closer to a $100 average fare!! But I'm 99.9% sure that the Q3 average fare will be quite a bit higher than Q2. The fares were higher and there were only maybe 3 weekend fare specials during Q3 in which there were actually decent fares available. So if the average fare isn't at least $97, then my whole number crunching project was a waste and we will know that SWA is just manipulating the numbers in order to bring better numbers forward for next year when their fuel hedges decrease..