FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - fly UA but have US status -- smart idea?
View Single Post
Old Sep 22, 2005, 8:11 am
hiyo

Programs: Club interjet; Airbnb
Originally Posted by AApokes08
From what I understand, with US status you can sit in E+. For the low-tier elite at US you get a 50% mileage bonus (compared to UA's 25%) and for every 10,000 Dividend Miles (is it US miles flown, or 10,000 miles flown on *A partners?) collected as an elite you get 6 500-milers (compared to UA's 4 500-milers).
I am in a similar position, that is, flying both US and UA, and weighing the pros and cons of status on each. Fortunately, my wife and I mostly fly together, so I put miles into MP, and she into DM. She keeps DM Silver and I maintain MP Premier.

I am not aware of US elites earning 6 500-milers per 10K flown. Elites have unlimited e-upgrades on US, but general members can redeem 10K miles for 6 e-upgrades. Could this be what you refer to, AApokes08?

So far we are happy with the split elite status, I can get my wife into E+ on UA and I get upgraded as her companion on US when there are FC seats available. I still earn 500-milers when we fly UA. We both enjoy priority lines and boarding on both airlines.

I am wondering, however, would I be better off as a US Silver? Would we have a better chance of upgrades on US with each having status, vice her with status and me as the companion? We will probably never be more than low level elites and the UA 500 mile upgrades pale next to unlimited US complimentary upgrades.

I'm sure there will be some adjustments to DM as the merger coalesces, and when things have firmed up, I will think more about jumping all the way over from UA to US. This year, we will actually fly slightly more on US than UA for the first time.