Old Sep 17, 05, 2:28 am
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Pennsylvania
Programs: HHonors Silver
Posts: 4,030
Call your credit card issuer and contest the charge (you may have to wait for it to appear on the credit card statement if it hasn't already). You paid for a service that you didn't receive through no fault of your own. With a protest in the record it then becomes an issue between Visa/MC and the hotel. Particularly with the hotel's statement that you'll be reimbursed "eventually" you should have no qualms about accelerating the process a bit.
pdhenry is offline