FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa, NH [Master Thread]
Old Sep 6, 2005, 10:29 am
SanDiego1K
Community Director Emerita

We had a wonderful stay at this hotel. We almost missed out on getting a suite. There were two weddings in the hotel; one bride had 501, and many of the wedding guests had booked suites. Also, the 100th anniversary of the signing of the Sino-Japanese peace treaty was September 5. There were many dignitaries staying at the hotel, with both a reception and dinner hosted there. But in the end, we did get a pleasant small suite, with 2 bathrooms!

The hotel is reminescent of the Hotel Del in San Diego. It is a lovely wooden Victorian hotel, master of all it surveys with beautiful views over water toward Portsmouth and in the other direction over water out to sea.

As reported above, it was closed for 30 years. We saw pictures of the hotel enclosed by fencing, ready for the wrecking ball. It was purchased 6 years ago, and reopened in 2003. Everything was in top order during our stay, and it was our impression in talking to staff that they are running at high occupancy.

We were impressed by Carol in the Executive Lounge. She has put together a binder covering the history of the hotel. She also has a one page description of a drive to Kennebunkport that goes along the coast. We took it; it was a beautiful drive. She had good advice on restaurants. We ate at
  • Morrisons - lobster on the rough - no sides, but delicious lobster, eaten on a pier overlooking Portsmouth
  • Chaunceys - a few miles north in Maine, one of the most picturesque places to sit and eat lobster I've seen.

These outdoor lobster piers are open roughly between Mothers Day and Colombus Day.

We had good food in the lounge one night; vegetarian sushi, tea sandwiches, and melon soup. The other night, the spread was the most lavish I have ever seen in a lounge. There were large shrimp, oysters, cheeses, blueberries, dried cranberries, and a large tray of roasted vegetables. It was a stunning spread with just 8 or so of us there to enjoy it. There are desserts later in the evening. The lounge is open Sunday - Thursday nights.

Our rate included breakfast, so we ate in the dining room rather than the lounge. I recommend Wentworth eggs. The ham in eggs Benedict is replaced with lobster. Mmmmm.

Internet was free. They had a business center, and told us that computer use there was free as well.

This was really a special hotel, and one I enthusiastically endorse.