FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alaska sends 737 to MSY to evacuate victims
Old Sep 3, 2005, 7:05 pm
AS Flyer

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
A curious question (and please people, don't start anything inflammatory out of my questions)

In such a situation, would the airline contact the authorities handling rescue operations notifying of available assistance, or was there a call from rescue authorities asking airlines for any assistance they may provide?

How is this all coordinated? FEMA? The State of LA?

Does AS have the possibility of recovery for its out-of-pocket costs from government disaster relief funds, or is the entire thing a donation. (As far as the crew goes, it is above and beyond the call, and really something else that they donate their trip pay ^ )
I don't know who contacted who first. I beleive that the ATA (Air Transport Association), which is the trade organization of U.S. airlines, gathered commitments of support from their member airlines and then put the offer out there to FEMA. Alaska volunteered one plane and a crew. I understand that there is some remuneration but not enough to cover even a fraction of the costs involved. All of the airlines involved are largely donating their services.