FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sleeping in the airport -- the ultimate budget "hotel"
Old Sep 3, 2005, 10:30 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Sleeping in the airport -- the ultimate budget "hotel"

Before I collected a large number of Choice Hotel points, I have slept in the airport just to avoid paying for a hotel room where I just needed a place to sleep for the night. Can't beat a "rate" of zero!

I've slept in ONT (twice), and once in SAN, LAS, PIT and BWI. Except for LAS, I slept in baggage claim each time. If I ever get stuck overnight in ATL, hopefully it will be on the inside, because there are some new seats in the airport that don't have armrests (finally! armrests make seats unusable for sleeping).

The latest was the BWI overnight, and not only did I have enough hotel points, but it was actually a business trip and would not have been a problem at all to expense a hotel room. Unfortunately, every hotel with a shuttle was sold out, and after 30 minutes of waiting for a rental car bus, I declared it to be a lost cause to find a place to sleep for the remaining four hours before check-in, and slept in the airport. Luckily I had plenty of practice and slept like a baby. I set my watch alarm clock for 4:30 AM, and I actually needed it or I would have overslept.