FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - No More Pets in the Hold
View Single Post
Old Aug 26, 2005, 5:32 am
snokums925

Programs: HP/US
Originally Posted by deelmakur
I had my dog booked on November 3, and they said no dice, even though we were only 2 days past the cutoff. I asked for, and received a refund for two tickets (wife and I), called Continental, bought new ones, and booked the dog. As we were ending the conversation, the agent mentioned that I got an extra 200 FF miles for the dog. Seems Continental, which makes money, unlike USAir, which loses money, sees this as a segment it wants to develop. If you look at all the dumb things this airline has done, starting with the attempt to cut FF benefits, they have continually had to backtrack, while suffering permanent damage, and in almost every case, the common thread has been a total failure to understand how many people would be affected. Simply stated, they have never understood who their customer is.
US had to maake this decsion to align itself with HP. HP does not allow pets in the cargo hold, period. With our hubs in PHX and LAS, the heat is unbearable (106 yesterday and estimated 109 today in PHX, yippeee) so Fido or Fluffy would be dead by the time we taxied.
US just couldn't have some flights allow pets and others not. I know this is a hardship on some people but, like you said, CO allows pets so you booked with them. The new US is a LCC--you will notice that other LCC's (B6, WN, etc.) also do not allow pets in cargo.