FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Getting from SJD airport to Westin Los Cabos
Old Aug 23, 2005, 6:55 pm
stephem

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Originally Posted by DJ Traveler
I've heard some horror stories about car rental companies in Cabo trying to charge extra for insurance, and if you decide not to go with insurance, they put a charge of $4,000 on your credit card, only to deduct it if you bring the car back in the same condition.

Thrifty, Payless, and Dollar currently have the cheapest rates. Do you have a recommendation on which one to choose if I rent the car at the airport?
I think we used Thrifty last time and if I recall they are right in the airport. The times before that we used Avis, about 5 mintues away but very easy to get a shuttle to. Avis was much more professional about me declining the coverage. I just firmly told them no, I had talked to my C/C company before we left. I dont think the Trifty people required a deposit, but they were harder to convince. I've only had to pay a deposit in Costa Rica and I didnt care as long as i got a car. The way I look at it, your c/c company will be behind you on this kind of thing. Ultimately they pay the bill if you decline the coverage.