FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air France fuel surcharge: $100 o/w
View Single Post
Old Aug 23, 2005, 12:44 pm
Threy
Suspended

Originally Posted by rangerss75
Does anyone have any idea at all of the fuel bill for a fully-loaded 777-300 or 747 or an Airbus 340 (they'll each be very different, I know) for a single transatlantic journey such as JFK - CDG? I haven't a clue. Are we talking about $50,000 or $100,000 or $250,000 or what?
Well, despite general consens among writers that fuel will kill the airlines profits these days, at least the European airlines charge more than they pay more these days, even adding ( just theoretically ) the interest on pre paid contracts etc.

The cost of fuel is certainly different from station to station and especially country to country, the UK notoriously being the most expensive country in Europe...

However a big international airline like AF will get nice discounts. Gallon at JFK should run around $ 1.50 to 1.60 at the moment.AF should get a discount of 30-40 % of the sticker price, so may pay around 100 cents / per gallon, if they hedged their fuel there and I am sure they did, cause they pretty much know exactly their demand there, it is probably even less...

Do not have the time to look up the amount of fuel a 777 or 744 needs for the journey to CDG, but will update the thread later on...