FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any speculation on new routes?
View Single Post
Old Aug 23, 2005, 9:37 am
formeraa
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Phobank
58 can be recovered by maximizing the new hub airports for both carriers and by trimming out routes that don't produce regular full flights. I see something much different looming ... the significant scaling back of operations in a big hub and a pull out of a 2nd tier hub.
Let's see:

1. The BIG Hubs are: Phoenix, Philly, and Charlotte
2. The 2nd Tier Hubs are: Pittsburgh and Las Vegas

I don't see Phoenix being pulled back. Charlotte seems to be strategically important, particularly if Delta files bankruptcy and significantly pulls down service to the Southeast. I could see Philly flights reduced and being used more as an East-West international connecting hub (like UA currently uses IAD or AA at JFK).

I could definitely see Pittsburgh totally disappearing off the radar screen, but if Philly is downsized, PIT may stay as a focus city for connecting traffic to smaller cities in the East. I guess that Las Vegas is marginally profitable, but HP may no longer need the "night" hub to maximize plane usage (although LAS provides much needed evening/nighttime service which seems to have virtually disappeared post-9/11).

So, Phobank, let us in on your thinking...