FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air France Business Class within Europe
View Single Post
Old Aug 22, 2005, 2:01 pm
rangerss75

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold, BW Gold
Originally Posted by frankvb
Thanks for the excellent summary of intra-European business class!

My KLM experience related to upgrades is slightly different. In 2004 (and end of 2003) when I was FD Plat, I was upgraded on just about every flight between LHR and AMS (probably did about 8 return trips). Most of those tickets were in the lowest booking class. As far as I could see all FD Plats were being upgraded (to 'Europe Select', maybe the word upgrade is not entirely correct...) as long as the flight was full in economy. I wouldn't be surprised that, as Europe Select was introduced not long before, KLM simply didn't have enough passengers willing to pay the high fares for same-day return flights. The initial fare structure made it impossible to book a one-day return in economy, and I guess lots of business travellers from AMS to LHR would do that. It would have been less expensive to fly BMI or BA economy.

BTW: most of the KLM 737s still had the 2-3 configuration for the first 10 rows at the time.
Thanks for that, though it does sound a bit like an operational upgrade if Economy Class was full, and full-fare Y passengers are automatically seated in Europe Select anyway. Platinum members would be the obvious people to upgrade first if they needed the space in Economy. Does anyone know if they upgrade Platinum or other members travelling on the lowest fares if Economy still has empty seats. That is, should I amend my post?

Does KLM not use C as a booking class on European flights in fact? I must say, as an ex F+ member, I'm enjoying discovering the different world of KLM.