FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air France Business Class within Europe
View Single Post
Old Aug 19, 2005, 12:25 pm
Threy
Suspended

As pointed out in various other threads and already in this thread, one can sum it up easily comparing US domestic F class and C on Intraeuropean flights.Since you get a decent snack on any Intraeuropean flight on the main carriers, even on FRA-ZRH or FRA-BRU, flights on regional affiliates may be excluded, it is food that is better within Europe, the seat within the US...

In the US the meal service in F has been downgraded massively over the past years, however seating is still 2+2 with real wider seats and more pitch, normally around 40 inch on NW F, DC 9`s excluded.It is by far more comfortable than having the middle seat blocked.

Back in the good old days the F class meals on NW were comparable to what KLM served on longer routes with full several course services, on shorter routes in the US you certainly only get some pre packaged snacks, cereal bars, chocolate bars, almonds, peanuts, you name it.

Just to give you an example, NW used to serve a warm lunch or dinner on the DTW- JAX-DTW flights , around 100 minutes, however I never got dinner on the TPA-MEM flights ( around 90 minutes ) 4 p.m departure, maybe a notch too early.

So a 90 minute 650 mile flight offered an inferior selection of food in comparison to FRA-ZRH , hardly 30 minutes on a good day....

On transcons you used to get a full multi course meal and a pre arrival snack basket on United, NW never had any real transcons in the last years, flew DTW-LAX on them and it was one of the longest flights of NW within the US.

It is a good question, if travelers within Europe would pay a nasty premium to have a better seat, however the current approach is good for the airlines from a flexible standpoint, however wasting additional potential revenue, because of no ( maybe even very small ) premium cabin.

I am talking about 8 seats in real 2+2, I am talking about power outlets and warm meals, maybe even upscale lounges...

On one hand people tell me, that it is only a short flight, on the other hand there are complains about mediocre seating and food....