FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Speeding Ticket help in BC
View Single Post
Old Aug 10, 2005, 12:47 am
ac3000

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Lee A Carney
Perhaps the officer didn't indicate the speed on your ticket because he didn't actually clock you on his radar? You mentioned that the cop was going the other direction, observed you speeding, then pulled you over.....

I had the same thing happen to me in Manitoba. I was speeding along, following a beat up old pickup truck down a deserted road way the heck out in the country. The only other car in sight for (literally) 25 miles was an RCMP officer coming the other way. The cop did a U-turn and pulled me over. She wrote me a ticket with no speed on it.

I paid the ticket as I lived in Ontario at the time and it wasn't bad enough to earn demerit points, but in hindsight there was no possible way for her to have clocked me - I was following the pick-up truck. I'm pretty sure she picked me because a) the truck was old, dirty, beat-up, had local plates and was driven by a very local-looking farmer in a cowboy hat, and b) I was wearing a suit, driving a Mustang, and talking on my cell phone like a good city slicker. No way she could have clocked my car, but she saw us going way too fast and decided to write me a ticket any how. Perhaps the same thing is true for you...?
From what I understand of cop cars, they can have there radars "on" for opposing traffic. If they take the clocked speed and subtract their own speed they get your approx speed. However, it is not a speed that can be recorded on a ticket. In this case, it may have given the cop enough to indicate that you were definitely speeding, but not an acurate speed.