Old Aug 9, 05, 1:59 pm
Falco Peregrinus

Programs: Air France Platinum - Qatar Airways Gold
Cool 2 longhaul in F plus one entire day in Paris doing almost nothing!

Originally Posted by zrs70
I am flying in AF F YUL-CDG-JNB. I arrive in CDG at about 6:20 am and depart at 11:15 pm.
It will be a loooong day: plenty of time to enjoy Paris, but it might be quite exhausting too. Considering the jetlag from the (rather short) YUL-CDG segment, I would go for:
  1. 07:00 Good shower, breakfast and newspaper time at the arrival lounge of terminal 2C.
  2. 08:30 Ride to Paris with the RER train, avoiding morning traffic jam on autoroute A1.
  3. 09:15-12:00 Depending on your previous experience of Paris, I would start with a selection of cool walks in areas like Notre Dame, Ile Saint Louis and Pont Neuf to catch the atmosphere, with nice views over the river Seine and La Conciergerie.
  4. 12:00 Time for for a pre-lunch drink (apéritif ) at a brasserie terrace at Saint Michel.
  5. 13:00 Lunch (Saint Michel? Saint Germain des Prés?)
  6. 14:30 Digestive walk (Panthéon or Jardin du Luxembourg, Paris' most beautiful park)
  7. 15:00 Métro trip to Trocadéro square to enjoy the view over the Tour Eiffel.
  8. 16:30 Métro trip to Opéra with a shopping sequence (Printemps or Galeries Lafayette). You might want to keep your money for the duty-free area of terminal 2F, if you're into luxury and classic items. Less charm, less choice, slightly better price. Or guided tour of the Opéra.
  9. 18:00 Tea or coffee near Opéra
  10. 19:30 RER back to CDG (Edited: Opéra/Auber is on RER line A, easy connection with line B at Châtelet les Halles).
  11. 20:30 Shopping again, planes spotting and enjoy the F lounge at terminal 2F2. Don't fall asleep in the lounge...

Originally Posted by zrs70
Is it worth it to get a day room in a hotel?
No, I don't think so. You have to get used to your new time zone and you will have plenty of time to sleep in F between CDG and JNB. In order not to get too exhausted, avoid the temptation of visiting museums with little opportunities to sit down. Café terraces and parks can be very relaxing places in Paris. Limit your métro journeys to 3 areas: Notre Dame/St Michel/St Germain (close to each other), Trocadéro or Tour Eiffel, Opéra.

Enjoy...

Last edited by Falco Peregrinus; Aug 10, 05 at 3:07 am Reason: Updated RER connection info.