FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Million Miles / Million Miler Program ARCHIVE
Old Aug 5, 2005, 10:23 am
JGR01

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
And as a bit of triva for 2MMers (or non-US residents crossing 1MM) who are not familiar with eVIP's... look at the EXP Benefits manual online for details.

eVIP's are capacity controlled confirmable upgrade to next class of service. They are not valid on specific fares on some routing (transpac Q fares for example are not valid).

The way I normally use my eVIP is to HOLD a trip that I want (after looking at ExpertFlyer.com to see the fare class AND the availability of upgrades by specific fare being available) .. then I call AA and ask 'can I VIP this flight I have on hold?'. If they say YES, I will purchase it online while still talking to them .. then they take over and complete the upgrade.

NOTE that eVIP's nowdays are capacity controlled... so they are not always available. Look at ExpertFlyer for these 'hidden' fares to see availability. The farther out you book/request the more likely they immediately clear. If nothing available, you can be wait-listed for the upgrade and can clear months, weeks, days, hours or at the gate. Hard to predict.. each routing has its own Yield Management 'scheme' of initial seats and what releases when..

A AA First - upgrade using Miles/VIP or restricted purchase of First
C AA Business - Upgrade from Coach using Miles/eVIP on all 3-class and Int'l 2-class flights

Onwards to more millions!!