FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LH Takeover: Your fears for LX Travelclub? - Everybody post please
Old Aug 3, 05, 1:16 pm
rorschi

Programs: M&M basic / happy Wizzair+ user :-)
Hello,

as I "commute" on a route where LX and LH fly, I always had the choice of flying with one of those two carriers. After the splitting from Qualiflyer, I got a status match from OS, but I have never used that FTL-card for flights between ZRH and MUC, and have lost the FTL-status after the first requalification period.

There were some reasons to avoid SR/LX in the past:
-no more coffee service between ZRH and MUC
-first flight on monday morning was for a longer period always fully booked, as LX did not provide enough capacity (but is again OK since Jan 2004, as they switched that flight back from S20 to AR1/A319). So I had to pay full fare or fly on sunday evening
-not enough legroom on the Embraers...
-fear of a second "grounding", bad press reports in Switzerland etc.

But why didn't I fly LH?
1. As I use my miles mainly for upgrades on long-hauls, a M&M-mile is much less worth than a STC-mile for me, as the upgrades have always been more expensive with LH.
2. LX did always credit 1000miles, LH credits only 750 or even 125 miles with the cheap fares.

If a LH-mile is about 1ct worth, I save little more than 1 per segment...

There are some rumours that Hapag-Lloyd will fly ZRH-MUC twice a day from the winter timetable. Helvetic seems to be interested, too. It's clear: With M&M-conditions, I will not care anymore for the FFP, and choose the cheapest flight, independent if LX, LH, OAW, HLF...

Patrick