FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upgrade Policy For Families/Parties
View Single Post
Old Jul 17, 2005, 1:28 pm
enviroian
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Supposedly if there are two of you and you are both elite members, they'll upgrade you both at the time of the lowest status upgrade window, but I've never tried it

The irony of this statement AZ is that for the July 4th weekend my g/f and I flew to Detroit. I purposely called HP a week before to split up our reservations and have two separate PNR's issued. This way I was pretty confident I would get my upgrade as a plat, and knowing it was highly unlikely she would get hers as a silver it wouldn't be a concern as I would just give her my seat and take her's in 11C.

Eau Contraire. My upgrade as a plat never cleared. So the night before we leave, I hop on her laptop to print us off boarding passes, not too concerned as the good thing is we are both together in Y and have good exit row seats.
So I print off mine first, then hers. As I was checking her in online, a message came up during seat selection. You know the "elite members are offered space available complimentary upgrades. Would you like to check and see if there is an upgrade available?". Well, of course I did already wondering why I didn't get this message 10 mins earlier and lo and behold there was an empty seat

Of course this was no big deal b/c it was my g/f. However, if it happened then, how many other times has this happened when a silver or gold snags an F seat b/c of some BS software glitch??

Oh wait a minute--my email just refreshed with a new email and look, it's from HP. Hold on a sec.....oh cool, it's the first class notification email for my PHX-DFW flight on Tuesday:

Here is the status of the request for your upcoming flight:

Confirmation: U******

Flight 551
Travel Date/Time Tue, Jul 19 at 02:53 PM
Depart PHOENIX, AZ (PHX)
Arrive DALLAS-FT. WORTH, TX (DFW)
Status FIRST CLASS NOT AVAILABLE