FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - No More Tickets in House!
View Single Post
Old Jun 29, 2005, 4:11 pm
rhinochaser

Reasons for TACA still allowing Reservations

Originally Posted by craz
I also just got off with GP and was told to either email or fax my 5 trips in, they cant take over the phone. I had to line up where to go and with whom.

WHATEVER you do MAKE SURE that your email or fax is there by 5pm tommorrow, as they close at 6pm and can deny you if it aint there by then!!

Now my take on this is why would Taca want to make reservations for us I just finished my last one 10 mins ago, and then go P!SS us off by saying OK you got a res but we arent gonna send you atkt even an E Tkt. They would stand to lose too much IMO
I suspect that TACA is trying to moderate the number of tickets by the various reservation restrictions. However, not everyone is indicating that they are using GP awards when they make their reservations, and even if they do, the agents may not be briefed uniformly to not accept reservations or place limits on them. If I'm TACA, it would seem to place less heat on them if they simply restricted the availability of tickets. They need to allow some, but could severely restrict them. That way, no one points too much blame on them. The thing that helps protect us, I believe, is the original notice on the GP website about the demise of the ability to book award tickets ("The New Era"). That notice is still there and unchanged. I suspect that if GP was smart, they have a firm agreement with TACA that requires them to provide the tickets thru 6/30. Hopefully, TACA will come to the conclusion that these flights would not be taken but for the GP awards, and that unless the planes fly full, the only cost is the marginal cost of a bit more fuel and food. I think that GP and TACA will not take actions that would be blatantly inconsistent with GP's website notice. TACA is still reasonably big and strong and hopefully can survive the issuance of another batch of tickets. I think that they all just underestimated how many people would "check" the GP website or otherwise find-out that the miles were about to expire. They didn't reneg on the original mileage bonuses, they just put restrictions on them. Hopefully the same will happen here.