FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Update Roissy CDG2E
View Single Post
Old Jun 25, 2005, 3:27 am
Falco Peregrinus

Programs: Air France Platinum - Qatar Airways Gold
Originally Posted by JOUY31
ADP has opened a second additional boarding area twice that size on June 15th, called Satellite H.
Thank you for solving the mystery ^
  • this 'building' seems to be ADP's emergency reply to the 2E tragedy
  • not really a terminal, since access will be restricted to passengers departing on selected routes
  • in total contradiction with ADP's architectural tradition, Satellite H concrete cube looks more like the trendy 'low cost terminals' (15 M €)

Originally Posted by JOUY31
Passengers departing from this second new boarding area are bussed from the first new boarding area in CDG2E.
  • CDG is definetely becoming a bus friendly airport, ADP being 'Autobus De Paris'
  • they need a FBP (Frequent Bus user Program). I suggest 'Fréquence Bus'
  • now, how can they handle 45' connecting times with Sat H?

I suspect that the worse connecting situations will be something like 2B-2E, especially for flights operated by Régional on minor european routes (Ljubliana, Manchester off peak, Goethenburg, etc). Régional operates small aircrafts (EMB and BAE) parked on a remote area completely west of Terminal 2. No jetways of course. Busses, busses, busses. Usually allow 40' minutes for boarding... 40 passengers (that includes the bus trip). Besides, busses follow a complex circulation loop around the different buildings (one way only). A typical connection scenario would be:
  • arrival on the small Régional west parking
  • deplane (5')
  • take the bus ride to 2B main building (10')
  • go through the police inspection (yes, there is still a police check at 2B even for Schengen flights from Prague or Ljubliana) (3 to 5')
  • transfer to 2E (10 to 15')
  • bus transfer to Sat H (10 to 15')
Definitely not compatible with the 45' official minimum connection time. And I am even not going to challenge CDG's 'luggage friendly' airport reputation .
The only advantage I see with Sat H is that it is very near to the northern runway. And the large AF lounge (1,100 m²). I would be interested to know more about the new 'canopées' (american) boarding system (1st time at CDG). Is it that different from a traditional jetway?

BTW, why 'H'? Is there a 2G or Sat G in preparation? I hope ADP is not going to expand this remote boarding satellites scheme. Cheap buildings with expensive operation costs (busses and plenty of last minute rush minivans buzzing all around for short connections. VERY expensive!)