FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I'm trained! (random info)
View Single Post
Old Jun 22, 05, 4:39 pm
FL_f/a

I'm trained! (random info)

Hey all you people that fly AirTran. Just completed Customer Service Training, and so of course I became immediately curious as to how actual customers might view some of the things we discussed. Mind, I have no method of changing the companies mind on most of these things, although I’m still undecided on if I’m going to sign some petitions going around about them.

Anyway, most of it was pretty boring, same old ‘be nice to everyone’ theories. Some pretty nifty things coming on our end of things, like electronic credit/debit card readers, hurrah! And new trays that actually have a place to slip advertising and safety information cards into them.

Anyway, the most intriguing thing I think from a customer standpoint was when we got a hold of the guy in charge of aircraft appearance and cleaning, who answered the often asked question “yes, we do wash the blankets.” If their in plastic, they are clean. But the problem is that usually they are not in plastic, and are gross. So he has come up with the idea of *selling* them. Sort of. You would buy a little “blanket pack”, which includes a blanket, inflatable neck pillow, refreshing face wipe (whatever that is) and headphones. Three bucks for the lot, and anything left would be thrown away.

On one hand, I like the idea of no more gross blankets. On the other... well, the idea of selling blankets seem a bit.... cheap. I don’t want to be the one to tell some child that yes we have blankets, but no he can’t have any because mom doesn’t have a credit card. I assume that this pack will be complimentary in business class. We’re not sure if this will be implemented or not.

The other thing I thought was useful was the ability to pre-buy drinks/headsets/(blankets if that happens)/(food if we get some) with your ticket, either online or at the kiosk. You would still be allowed to purchase everything onboard with your debit/credit card if you wished.

It looks like the new boarding thingie is here to stay. It definitely seems to be improving the turn time. Also looks like they are trying to reallyreally crack down on people bring too much luggage on board, not sure how well that’s going to go.

And Puerto Rico next May!

Anyway, thanks for any comments, it’s sometimes difficult for me to shift focus and see things only from the customer’s point of view, this board really helps with that.