FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What do you like/dislike about MCI/Kansas City Airport
Old Jun 17, 2005, 6:51 pm
BearX220
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I like arriving at MCI, hate departing, especially if I get there too early.

Arrival is great because when you get to the top of the jetway you can be outside on the street in fifteen seconds. I always want to get out of the airport as quickly as possible.

Departure is poor because, as has been noted above, it can take forever to get to Terminal C on the rental-car shuttle... the airport is an unfriendly, dark, concretey place, where I always feel like I'm walking around in the the bottom of a sewer... there's nothing to eat and noplace to go and the gate areas are traps. It'd be a terrible hub.

One slight positive is, MCI can be a good place to catch a plane if you're late. I was stuck in traffic a few months ago and pulled into the Avis lot at 5:20, trying to make a 5:50 flight... I made it OK, even with the grand tour of Terminals A and B... I couldn't have done that at most other airports.

No new airport would or should be designed like that today. Private cars can get within 100 feet of aircraft, they must have five or six times as many TSA checkpoints as like-sized chokepoint-style airports, and connections should always be possible within terminals without leaving security.