FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What do you like/dislike about MCI/Kansas City Airport
Old Jun 17, 2005, 12:39 pm
Delta Hog

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham
MCI is my home airport.

Pros:

Great for in-and-out flyers. No matter the airline or the flight, when dropped off at the curb, if I picked up a rock and lobbed it over the building, I could hit my aircraft (with good aim). I usually arrive 30 minutes before departure with no problems.

Baggage claim is directly beside the arrival gates, so quick exit also.

Fairly attractive interior. Short lines. Easy to get to in a car, especially for pick up and drop off. Plenty of good airport parking.

Cons:

As you probably know, we are not a hub for any airline. That's a chicken and egg problem with the cons of the airport. The most common complaint is that the airport is divided into 3 terminals that are connected only by bus transport (although no airline has gates/flights in more than one terminal). And, very few to no good restaurants (who needs them if no one is connecting?) Security is individualized to 3-4 gates per checkpoint. While this makes for short lines (see above), it also means that once through security, there are no restrooms, stores, restaurants, drink machines -- nothing, nada. Just seats, telephones, and gates. The restroom situation is allegedly being remedied.