FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Fuel surcharge Swiss
View Single Post
Old Jun 11, 2005, 3:09 am
OS-A330

Fuel surcharge Swiss

I have just booked a flight from Vienna to Bangkok (via Zurich) using a travel agent, because they had very good promotion fares negotiated with Swiss. Bangkok was advertised with EUR 359,- + taxes, and Miami with 279EUR.
(valid for departures from 1st Sept. to 6th November)
I got my favourite departure date, but when it comes to the additional charges, I became a little bit angry and weird as well. While the website of Swiss displayed me a total fee of EUR 72,59 including a TSC of 8 EUR, the travel agent charged me EUR 150,-!! not containing a TSC. I experienced that SWISS charges a fuel surcharge of EUR 70,-, and there was even a difference with the airport taxes, which should be always the same regardless where you book.
Why has this happened to me? The Swiss website displays one amount, a travel agent charges a completely different amount. Is it lawful?

Maybe they wanted to bust customers by using lowered tariffs, which are always treated with a 'fuel surcharge' afterwards. I would accept it, if it would be a common policy, which means same fees for website and travel agents. So does Austrian, I think.

Any recommendations or ideas?