FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 25% Off Starpoint Redemption
View Single Post
Old May 23, 2005, 8:54 am
777 global mile hound
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Question Cyberspace Unsolved mystery

Originally Posted by wma
I posted (#21) that I did not get the email. William replied

"The idea that this email is going to land in every SPG Platinum member's email box simultaneously is an unrealistic expecation.

Usually, these are sent in batches. If you have an email account attached to your Starwood Preferred Guest account, have opted in to receive emails from us, then it will be sent to you. If it still never arrives, it could be because of your browser security settings, or it could have been diverted to your bulk email folder, or there could be a problem that neither of us are aware of that needs to be addressed.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services"

I then went to SPG to check if I'm signed up for everything - I was, then I checked my browser securty settings - they were okay; then I checked my bulk/junk email folders - nothing from SPG. I called up comcast - my ISP asked if they had any filters I should be aware of - nothing.

I think the problem is with SPG's IT department and the programs they use to do bulk mailing. I don't think those folks know there a**es from their elbows. I can't imagine the marketing department would be stupid enough to email the promotion to only a sample of PLT's, when the promo was open to all PLT's and posted on their website (if you hit it right - another IT success).

Either way, I think the way this "Thank You" was handled was done poorly, again making PLT's - their loyal customer base angry.
OOPs sorry I missed the earlier posts. Duh
This thread was going on 7 pages and I didn't take the time to read them

I think the intended gesture was wonderful by the good folks at Starwood.
But there are certainly some improvements that could be looked at IMO with regard to the IT departments handling of these future mailings.What they might look at is beyond my scope of current understanding.

I have made such reports to SPG on such similar issues in the past.
When changes to the SPG terms and conditions were made a few yeas ago for example I never received that mailing either.
And some other assorted email communications along the way.
The odd thing is I do receive in my estimation the lion's share of mailings.
As I also understood it by the Customer Service at SPG the recent offering by SPG for the 25% off was also communicated by phone if you called the Platinum line as well.

I agree some improvement needs looking at by the correct parties not limited to this promotional mailing.
There is and has been a limited ongoing problem and I agree it probably has something to do with the IT department.
Or the mysterious dreaded cyberspace email SPG communication gobbler crusher

As I had no plans to book further award travel it doesn't concern me at present but could in the future.
I certainly wouldn't begin to let it affect my short term or long term relationship with Starwood either way.
It was after all meant as a goodwill gesture.
Besides when I look at my relationship with SPG through the years it's been one incredible party and journey in and out of it's loyalty program. I thank all at Starwood for the experience.

However I would certainly bring the problem up and report it to SPG because it can not be looked at or resolved without it being politely voiced .
If anyone has a copy of the promotion I would greatly appreciate them forwarding it and seeing it what it looks like.
I save much of SPG promotional history through the years saved on my computer and would like to add this to the collection
Thanks for the feedback all

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; May 24, 2005 at 9:40 am