FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Easy Transportation from SFO to SJC
View Single Post
Old May 19, 2005, 7:50 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Originally Posted by Daringdoo
OK. I thought you were a little too 'invested' in the shuttle vs train/bus thing, I stand corrected

So, and I'm not picking a fight here.... Isn't that the same as not tipping a waitress or a hotel valet? I always tip the driver since I see it as a service job. Plus he/she usually handles the bags putting them into and taking them out of the vehicle.

As always, tipping is a personal matter. Some do, some don't - regardless of the type or quality of service performed. I just thought I should make the OP aware that my estimate didn't include one.

Also, I'd hate for people to think I have no appreciation for the public transportation in the Bay Area, but you have to admit that while yes it is clean and comfortable, it is just not as convenient as say, many countries in Europe when it comes to access to the airport (as I'm sure many of you can attest to). Personally I'd love it if it made sense for me to use public transportation when trying to get to the airport but by the time I take a cab to Caltrain station, take the train, then switch to BART, I might as well have jumped into a shuttle (I think the price is about the same and it certainly wouldn't take any longer - even with pickups)! So, by all means if one is so inclined, for whatever reason, to use Caltrain/BART etc go for it!
A waitress or bartender is paid a lower minimum wage because of the expectation of tips. Bus drivers are not. So, it's not the same thing. For $35, I expect the driver to spend two seconds taking my luggage. Even for California, that is a lot of money to spend on a bus to go from one airport to another in the same metropolitan area. Even in NYC, it costs half that for a bus from Grand Central in Manhattan to JFK, and it's non-stop.

I suppose I do have a lower tolerance for crummy public transit in the U.S., having taken city buses or light rail in Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Las Vegas, which are not exactly models of public transit efficiency (plus D.C. to Boston which is better but still not European). Still, for five bucks and three quarters for two choo-choo trains followed by a free bus, you can't go wrong, IMHO.