FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buy one Business Class Ticket get one Free with Credit Card
Old May 18, 2005, 9:05 pm
Braswch

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Loews Platinum
Is it worth it?

Originally Posted by whiteknuckles
Amex Platinum generally allows a "free" companion ticket only when you purchase a FULL FARE business class ticket, not with discounted business class fares. This makes the offer just another worthless advertising gimmick as far as I'm concerned.
To illustrate, I called to check and see what the price would be with the card for a round trip Business class ticket to Asia. It was 5000 for the first one and then you pay 150 in taxes for the second one. You can get a discounted Business class ticket for 3000, so is it worth it in this example?? well depends how close to 3000 that discounted ticket is.

I DO see where this would be useful. Someone has said they will pay for you (and only you) to fly business class to some place. This is one way for you to allow that entity to pay the 5000 and then you bring someone else with you for 150. In that case its useful. I was hoping the fare from AMEX would be closer to the 3000, I would have done that. Oh well.

Thanks for all the feedback and links.

Interesting that you have to have 100K income, or another amex card. What does haveing another amex card have in common with someone who make 100K?? no clue.