FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - China FIT recommendation?
View Single Post
Old May 11, 2005, 9:01 pm
Darren

Originally Posted by moondog
Darren: It can take 15 minutes, but if you happen to arrive during a peak time in high season, it can also take as long as an hour. I took a few friends up there in June 01 and we have a whole series of pictures of us sitting on our taxi's trunk in total gridlock. Again, later in the day is better. While in the area, it's a good idea to check out some of the universities and Wudaokou (which has turned into quite a happening area).
Ack! I made a mistake! Yes, an hour to the Summer Palace. No, what I meant to type was "Temple of Heaven"! Its about 15 mins from Temple of Heaven to Tiananmen! Duh... Sorry about that. Yes, it's forever to the Summer Palace. I was staying at Tsinghua so I know all too well. Its an interesting area and certainly gives a bit of a glimpse of the educated and tech side of China, but I agree that it's not worth the time if you are giving up any of the places that you or I have mentioned.

Also, I agree with you that the lakes are pretty cool. Beihai Park is one of my favorite places in Beijing and there is a useful Houhai entertainment guide in this month's That's Beijing that Sabrina should be able to pick up when she arrives.
You know, I didn't spend nearly the amount of time there that I wanted. It was indeed wonderful and became one of my best memories, but I really wish I could have taken more than the two or three hours I was there. Unfortunately, I was there for a reason other than tourism and my responsibilities were considerably more than I expected when I went. If I had another day, I would have gone to see the Wall. If I had two, I would have spent the day wandering around the lakes and the other sights local to the area.

Yes, sorry Sabrina, I made a mistake and confused the SP and ToH. ToH to Tiananmen, it's about 15 minutes (more with traffic). From Tiananmen to SP it's minimum 30 minutes and more likely than not closer to an hour each way. By train, it's about an hour.

D.