FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA Today Article on FLYI
View Single Post
Old May 9, 2005, 11:31 am
DataBaseDude

Rack up them losses please!

Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
All great, except Independence Air's entire network is on the east coast and to select west coast destinations. UA and US have networks that span the globe, and can better weather losses at their Washington area operations. One can even say that while not desirable, UA can lose its pants at IAD but you can't say the same for Indepdendence Air.
I don't recall UAs cash situation but a Journal article last week said that US had something like $300 million in cash until it falls into default with the ATSB. They claim that they are profitable now that they have screwwed their employees out of a retirement but I would prefer to wait and see with that.
Also US is being stalked on all fronts: PHL, PIT, WAS, CLT.
It's just a matter of time until the revenue from the high fares that they have been charging for years dries up after this recent waive of LCCs moving into their hubs.
I'm not sure how the CEO thinks that they will break even in the summer, but I would love to see it.
If not DH might go chapter 11 (I personally give it 50-50), but US is far more likely to go chapter 7, maybe not for a few months, but let SouthWest get some more 737s and they will be ready to finish US off.
WN is taking delivery of approx. 1 737 per week while US has already announced that they are cutting back on the number of big jets and kicking up the number of smaller jets.

As for UA, one good little strike by those F/As and kiss 'em buh-bye.