FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Comp SPG Gold for Airline Elites?
View Single Post
Old May 9, 2005, 9:08 am
kiam
Ambassador: Thai Airways

Programs: UA 1k, TG Gold, LT Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Sam - DFW
I received an invitation to my AA e-mail address. I responded and received this e-mail:

Since I am new to *Wood, I have some questions:
1. Do I need an AmEx to use SPG 50s? I read that it depends. What does it depend on - the certificate or the property?
2. Do you still get miles for stays when using SPG50s? Do you still get points when using SPG 50s? I guess I could use one account for miles and the other for points if necessary.
3. I wouldn't think that *Wood gives you credit for the entire bill pre-discount when using SPG 50 certificates. For example, when using Marriott Premium Pound certificates, I get treated as if the certificates were cash when calculating points received.
4. If my ultimate goal is AA miles, do I want points or miles from *Wood? What is the exchange like? I know that there was a bonus period for redemption not too long ago, right?

Thanks, and I look forward to seeing some of you in these great properties.

Sam
1. I didn't need to use my AMEX when I redeemed my previous SPG50 certificate. AMEX SPG Card Members do get the SPG50 Certificate annually though. The one that comes with the card may need to use with the card (but I really don't think so - I am waiting for mine to come in the mail, so I cannot tell you its conditions but I got one from the agent last time and it did not require to use with AMEX).
2. You get points or miles only for the portion you pay when redeeming SPG50 certificate. However, Vacation Resorts (Sheraton and Westin) will not get you any points.
3. See Answer # 2.
4. If you are not a *Wood Fan, go with your AA miles. To me, one SPG point is worth more than 1 ANY AIRLINE MILES. I prefer to refeem my 40K SPG points for a nice stay (Category 4 Hotel) for 5 nights than redeeming 40K miles on the airlines. Plus 20K SPG points = 25K Airline Miles (except UA and a few others).