FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which international routes would you like NW to launch?
Old Apr 13, 05, 7:33 pm
SPN Lifer

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI) [1991 - 2010]; LAS
Programs: Lifetime: UA United Club, AA Admirals Club & Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite
Originally Posted by kyushuman
NW tried KIX as a hub--at one point in the late 90s, NW had nonstops from KIX to TPE, MNL, MSP, KUL, KHH (I think), HNL, LAX, and DTW, along with JD codeshares to FUK, NRT, etc! Now, it's just DTW, TPE, and HNL. I guess there just wasn't enough traffic. I do know that KIX has been less busy than predicted anyway, so it may not be NW's fault, just that the market can't support that many flights. Anyone have a guess?
Originally Posted by kyushuman
I think you're right--NW offers 2x daily 744s to MNL (ex-NRT and NGO), and used to fly 3x (they had KIX too). Prices from the US to MNL are always sky-high--usually around $1500 even from the west coast-especially in summer.

I assume you know that NW still have that great deal in WBC ($1890+taxes RT from LAX/SFO to MNL). I've taken that the last two years, though last year it was only $1625--cheaper than the cheapest Y I could find, even.
Thanks for the cheap competition, PAL!
I think the KIX mini-hub was affected by very high landing fees, and the fact that it began operation near the peak of the bubble in 1995, shortly before the 1997 Asian economic collapse. So, essentially, a combination of factors including bad timing.

Does anyone know how the new NGO landing fees compare with those at KIX and NRT?

Obviously, the limited capacity at NRT is a big problem. Until new equipment comes on line permitting more Asian non-stops from the U.S. mainland (I express no comment on the wisdom of such a change, without any detailed information on the traffic through the NRT hub), there seems to be a need for an overflow hub in Japan.

NW in NGO currently serves NRT, DTW, SPN, and MNL. I suspect a few more choices might profitably be in order.