FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - what is select seating really worth?
View Single Post
Old Apr 2, 2005, 12:53 pm
Escape

Exclamation what is select seating really worth?

I assume the seating program offers preferential advance seat assignments to KLM/NWA/AF's most valued customers.

Select seating supposed to be available to:

* Platinum Elite members
* Gold Elite (and Silver Elite members as they are also Skyteam Elite)
* Unrestricted full-fare Coach Class passengers
* Special access passengers

Customers who meet these criteria can request a seat assignment when making a reservation. For more details you need to contact KLM reservations.

After reading that, you would assume that it's really "big deal" to be able to get those seats (I mean that there's something special about these seats), but as a matter of fact there really isn't (you only get to deboard the aircraft "early") and you would assume that all other economy-pass. wouldn't be able to get these seats (except if the flight is full) which would result in a comfortably quiet "front-cabin"..........
but guess what; assumption is the mother of all F***ups.....!!

Every time I depart from ams, this so called select seating section is cramped up...whereas in the back people share middle seats or even occupy three seats (if armrest go up)
The select seating doesn't even have notebook-power-ports (haven't been on the 777 yet) and on my last flight I had a "stewardes" which was beeing trained in the select seating section, which made me write this thread.

someone else was sitting in my seat so I pollitely asked this "mister" to get up and let me "enjoy" my, well in advanced, reserved seat 11E (744).
He told me that he got there first or something...so I went to the flight attendant, and told her about my situation, upon which she replied that seat-reservations where not possible, and that I had to take anonther seat.
Trying to keep the pacifist-reputation that I have, I kindly asked for the purser, as she clearly didn't know what she was doing, and apperantly didn't know that I was an elite (which wasn't such a big problem, but she could have asked for my boarding-pass)
Eventually I got my seat and the whole flight this "stewardesje" kept sucking up to me...yes mr.escape, of course mr.escape

but the main object here is; what is, this so called, select seating worth?

btw it (obviously) was an international flight

Last edited by Escape; Apr 4, 2005 at 12:51 pm