FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Hilton Honors Government and Military Rates" thread
Old Mar 31, 2005, 9:43 am
kymbakitty

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
Very good question....

Originally Posted by MFLetou
I work for the federal government. I've always assumed that it was inappropriate and unethical to book a government rate when traveling on leisure...but from what I'm reading others do this all the time...am I wrong? Don't get me wrong, I'd love to do it, I just am very sensititive about this because I work for a political entity, not 'civil service.'
Dear MFLetou:

Very, very good question. I worked for the State for years and I would always hear of people doing this and thought it was, pehaps unethical, odd anyway. Here is what I have found.

I started to call hotels and ask them..."I'm a state employee....but I am not on state business, can I get the state rate"? I always get a "yes" if that rate is available.

I've also had it explained to me by Hilton reps that it is just a rate like any other, Entertainment Rate, AAA Rate, Corp Rate, State Rate, Fed Rate, etc. They either have those rates available or not. And you qualify because you are employed by the government. Not necessary on state business.

I don't think it is unethical in the least...it is not taking any money away from the government. And as many posters have stated, it is surely not the lowest rate in many cases. But I no longer feel that it is in any way unethical.

When I make reservations for out of state, I always ask them if I may book the governmental rate since I am out of state. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Arizona and Nevada have always required you to be a resident, so I can't use it there. But I always tell them I'm NOT on state business to make sure they are aware so I don't have any surprises when I check in. And again, no taxpayers are feeling the pain of this because it is not costing the government any money.

Interestingly enough, within the last year of so, Federal Laws now actually have on the books that federal employees CAN MAINTAIN their own travel perks, so long as there is no additional fee to the government. I wish the State would put this in statutes somewhere because our accounting office still wants all of our Southwest Rapid Reward tickets that we earn. They haven't figured out a politically correct way to request our points earned through the hotels...yet! Argh....

Dawn