FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt Churchill London REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Mar 27, 05, 9:10 am
rfrost

Programs: BAGold,AA3MMPlat,UA1MMGold,FBSilver,MarriottAmb,AccorPlat,HHGold,ICPlatAmb, HyattDiscoverist
There've been some fairly colorful bottles of tolietries in my club floor rooms on my last two stays, so I suspect private labelization has arrived there in full force.
On the bus issue discussed above, the nearest bus stop on Oxford Street is served by one bus that ends its route at Piccadilly Circus, and two more that stop there and continue on to (or beyond) Trafalgar Square and Aldwych, so service is very frequent. On a busy Saturday afternoon, however, it could take a good 20 minutes JUST to get to Oxford Circus, so if you're in a hurry, it may not be for you.
As for comparisons with Covent Garden, Oxford Street is also a busy area (much less so at night), and doesn't generally get the hordes of drinkers in the street. I think it's a bit rundown. Portman Square itself is very quiet, and if you like to go eat late, there are not a lot of good choices in the area.
For the poster who's booked at the Trafalgar, I assume that's the newish Hilton, which I haven't stayed at, but have been shown. They are VERY different from each other. The Hilton's kind of self-consciously modern and somewhat hip; standard rooms are small and minimalist. The Churchill's kind of a dowager--a bit dowdy and staid, with a large Middle Eastern clientele. I've only stayed on the club floor, but I'm guessing my rooms there (which have generally not been very big) were standard size, which would make them bigger than the Hilton's. I don't like the concierges on the main floor, and as has been previously noted, checkout downstairs can be a zoo.