FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA835 MIA/DFW diverted due to medical emergency
Old Mar 23, 2005, 2:12 pm
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Exclamation Compensation for someone else's medical misery?

Medical emergencies happen. Cabin personnel are trained in first aid, can administer oxygen and use Automated External Defibrillators - and they are all kept in clearly-marked compartments, nobody scrambles around looking for them, as the crew are all cognizant of where they are. But they are not paramdics, and can not diagnose - decisions for medical emergency landings are made in consultation with appropriate ground personnel, for serious reasons. When they occur, the flight and its schedule (gate assignment, carousels, times, meals, etc.) become disrupted and it costs the airline considerable money (landing fees, extra fuel, crew time, aircraft diverted from its originally scheduled service, etc.)

To put it mildly, you were not the only one inconvenienced. And if you or yours had a heart attack or the like you would probably prefer an emergency landing and intervention from properly trained personnel, I suspect. (Often, people in that situation get embarrassed and try to refuse treatment once on the ground 0r the paramedics arrive - what would you do if you were the Captain? Risk a passenger death and a huge suit?) (I'm slightly aware of this due to my own training as an emergency first responder and rescue diver - people are prone to severe cases of embarrassment and "buyer's remorse" at these times.)

Request compensation? If you wish... it's certainly within your rights. But last time that happened on an aircraft I was on (SJU - DFW, emergency for a heart attack at MIA - I chose that flight precisely because I like to avoid MIA, ironically!) I missed my connection at DFW - I wrote the airline and commended them on the rapid action and professional skills demonstrated by the cabin personnel.