FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA835 MIA/DFW diverted due to medical emergency
Old Mar 23, 2005, 11:21 am
LLZ

Originally Posted by kunphuzn

My question is, does this warrant a complaint letter in hopes of a CS mileage bonus or should I wait and see if AA takes it upon themselves to do this unsolicited?
No, and yes respectively, although I don't know why you think AA should in this case.

What is the general policy when it comes to medical diversions?
Looks like it is to err on the side of caution, which is what I'd want them to do were it me, my parents, or a total stranger.

It appears that since this lady was able to walk off the plane on her own, that staying in the air an additional 30 minutes to make it to DFW was not out of the question. Thoughts?
Look, something instigated this series of events....for all you know the lady was writhing in pain, or who-knows-what....it was serious enough for the crew to determine that she needed medical help (and perhaps the pax indicated so herself), call for a doctor on the plane, etc.

In any event, the crewmembers are not medical personnel. What if they had determined she could wait it out another 30 mins and then she died, went into a coma, whatever?

They'd be getting it from the other side for being more concerned with their operations/schedule than an ill passenger (it happened on CO).

This is but a small bump in the flight of life, and miniscule compared to other delays that could have been much, much longer out of MIA for various other reasons.