FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA835 MIA/DFW diverted due to medical emergency
Old Mar 23, 2005, 11:06 am
kunphuzn

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum
AA835 MIA/DFW diverted due to medical emergency

Last night I was on AA835, which left about 30 minutes late by the way (no surprise, welcome to MIA) and not long after the meal service was completed the FA in first made an announcement that there was a medical emergency and asked if there were any doctors on board. Apparently, a woman in economy was having problems. Again, the announcement....then the somewhat frantic search for all the medical supplies on board, i.e. oxygen, first aid kits, etc.

This went on for about 30 minutes then the pilot announces that due to a medical emergency we would be landing in Shreveport to allow medical personnel onboard and to remove the pax with the issue. So, we land amongst a sea of flashing lights and emergency vehicles. Once they get the stairs up to the plane, no exaggeration, 14 firemen and paramedics boarded the plane. It was quite comical when we watched out the window and saw two firemen actually carrying a ladder. The FA wouldnt tell us anything in F and since the pax was so far back we couldnt really tell what was going on. However two of the firemen and one of the pilots had a conversation right next to the front lav in economy (I was in 6E so they were basically right beside me) and long story short, they were pi*sed that she was refusing to deboard the plane. The pilot said he did not put her (the plane) down in Shreveport for nothing and the lady was going to the hospital whether she wanted to or not.

After about 30 more minutes, the lady walks off the plane with all the med personnel. Okay, so the pilot then announces we have to top off the tanks and we will be on our way. By now it is about 11:30pm. They can't find the gas truck and by time we finally get fueled, take off and make it to DFW it is almost 1:00a.

Fine, but then......we wait about 20 minutes for our bags and they begin sending them on two separate carousels!!! People travelling alone were forced to run back and forth between belts to look for their luggage and to top off a wonderful evening, no taxi's at that time of night. Got home around 2:00a.

My question is, does this warrant a complaint letter in hopes of a CS mileage bonus or should I wait and see if AA takes it upon themselves to do this unsolicited? What is the general policy when it comes to medical diversions? It appears that since this lady was able to walk off the plane on her own, that staying in the air an additional 30 minutes to make it to DFW was not out of the question. Thoughts?