FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AMEX PULLS OUT OF CP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old Apr 26, 2000, 8:04 am
hsi.chang

Originally posted by Shareholder:
Any word on the status of the Amex discount on CP awards (suppose this is gone since it was linked to Rewards program), the 1K bonus for buying a CP ticket with an Amex card, or the Platinum card benefits like the 2 for 1 CP ticket?
I can further confirm that the 2-for-1 coupon issued yearly to the Platinum Amex card holders are now invalid. My father took his to an AMERICAN EXPRESS TRAVEL AGENCY and they've refused him from using it. News reports that this is still "up in the air" is incorrect.

From the Amex Canada web site, http://home3.americanexpress.com/can...s/CAIL_Q&A.rtf lists Amex feeble response. Point (6) specifically says that the 3,500 transfer fee remains in place, along with the minimum of 10,000 points per transfer (instead of 0 fee and 5,000 points minimum). How can Amex even begin to argue this since their point of the fee in the first place was "too many people are transferring to CPlus". You will also notice that point (10) in the "contents" page "How does Amex intend to keep my business" is not answered in the body of the web document.

I know I was quoted in today's Globe and Mail with what I've posted here. I know the reporter printed exactly what I said here, but I didn't mean it to sound like I'll forgive Amex if they'll just drop the 3,500 points fee, and it would be business as usual. I am hoping that AA AAdvantage will take over CPlus' place with Amex MR, but that is unlikely as AMR has an existing relationship with Citibank in the US, and Citibank Canada is becoming more agressive with their card products.