FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AMEX PULLS OUT OF CP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old Apr 25, 2000, 11:03 am
InTheAirGuy

Send a fax to the CEO at Amex to complain; I sent this off today.

To Alan Stark
CEO
American Express Canada
101 McNabb Street
Markham Ontario
L3R 4H8

Re : Platinum Amex xxxxxxxxxxxxx / Membership Rewards/Canadian Airlines

Via fax: 905.474.8708

Dear Mr. Stark,

I enclose a copy of a note that I sent this AM via the American Express Canada Web site.

Like many cardholders, I am outraged at the situation with Canadian Airlines, with respect to the Membership Rewards program.

However, I am also becoming outraged that the "announcements" by Amex yesterday to attempt to placate members -- $100 per 10,000 points - are so ridiculous that they barely merit mention.

How dare you insult us! You insult us by offering such a pittance, compared to the programs offerred by American Express worldwide in other airline programs.

I have accumulated almost 1/2million membership points, in good faith. I'm outraged at the "solution" that you now propose to offer. The beauty of the era of the Internet is such that your insult is readily apparent. As noted on an online bulletin board this AM (www.flyertalk.com)

AMEX has affiliated programs with airlines all over the world, I don't understand why they cannot extend those flexibilities to us. Check out below to see what other members around the world get and you can only come to the conclusion that
either Canadians are indeed a passive lot or Canadian cardmembers are getting screwed!(maybe both??)

In Australia, the Aussies can redeem on Air New Zealand (Star Alliance), Qantas (OneWorld) and Malaysian (WorldPerks).

The Brits, Germans get Alitalia, Air France, Co, Delta, Iberia, Qualifer and Virgin http://home3.americanexpress.com/uk/...lines_body.asp

The Argentinians get Swissair,Air France, Varig and Australian Airlines (I think the latter is a typo and should read Austrian Airlines but you never know anymore)http://home3.americanexpress.com/argentina/Personal/Cards/rewards/rewards_travel.asp

The Yanks get a beautiful selection: Aeromexico, Co, Delta, El Al, Hawaiian, Korean, Mexicana, Southwest, TWA, US Air, Virgin and even LATINPASS.Plus Hiltonhonors, priority club,best western, marriott and starwood.
http://home3.americanexpress.com/Rew...ch_partner.asp

The beauty of the era of the Internet is that companies are under immediate scrutiny when it comes to how they treat their customers.

Given the pittance that you have offerred, and the fact that the value of my Platinum card, sans Canadian involvement, is now perceived by me as virtually worthless, I have this AM for, and understand I have been approved for, a new CIBC Aerogold card.

I plan to begin immediately use it for all my travel bookings, in order to earn Aeroplan points, since I figure my Platinum Card and the American Express Membership Rewards service is now basically useless.

With up to $25,000 in travel bookings in the next month, I would expect that you hope to do more for your customers in the wake of this event than insult them.

I expect I will receive, within the next day or two, a nice, flowery letter from you, penned by your PR folks, on the wonderful new program you have extended to us upon the cancellation. Try as you might, you cannot put a "spin" on your insult.

Don't bother sending the letter; we know what you will say, how you hope to "spin" it, and already see through the "spin." Do something more concrete and real, than spin.

I look forward to hearing as to how American Express intends a remedy that recognizes an equivalent value in the Membership Rewards program as existed with the Canadian Airlines program.

Yours truly,
xxxxxx

----
Sent via the Web, April 25

Dear Alan,

I was as stunned, I suppose, as you were at the Canadian Airlines pullout
from the American Express Membership Rewards.

I'm a platinum cardholder (xxxxxxx), and have accumulated
almost 1/2million Amex points. My plan was to use these for family trips
to Europe etc on Canadian.

You should put an equivalent program in place ASAP; otherwise, I'll feel
compelled to immediately transfer my $50,000-80,000 approx per annum
spending to an EnRoute or other card, for points on Air Monopoly. After
all, that's the way the world is working, isn't it?

You should know this: the value of points in your membership program has
collapsed from my perspective. Not only that, but your announcement
yesterday (your offer to allow an exchange of $100 in travel equivalehnt
for 10,000 points) is a joke), since it comes no where close in equivalent
value to flights on Canadian. Prior to the Canadian pullout, I could have
obtained 6 business class flights to Europe for a value of $18,000,
compared to your value of $4,000 with this "new" program.

I'll be booking approximately $25,000 in travel in June. My fall is equally busy. I'm
applying for an CIBC/Air Canada Visa card today in order to hedge my bets
and will plan to book on that card (and all subsequent expenditures)
unless you come up with a "better offer."

I trust you will keep people in the loop, but this feedback is probably
essential.