Old Mar 3, 05, 8:59 am
Jim90068

Programs: Lifetime Plat AA, Starwood Plat 100, Hilton Diamond
There are two sets of trains that go from Hangzhou to Shanghai.

Both have sections with reserved seats.....and I recommend that you pay the marginal fare difference for it. The 'soft seat' section ( reserved) also has a separate waiting room. Otherwise, you'll be part of a cattle-like rush to the cars that aren't reserved.

One of the trainlines goes to the Shanghai main rail station. I would recommend this trainline.

The other trainline stops in Shanghai at an urban station......when you exit you have to climb a set of stairs ( up and over the adjacent rail line)....that is a very taxing climb. As I recall it, it is about 60 steps straight up ( 20 steps, a short landing, 20 steps, a short landing etc), and the same on the way down. There are hustlers there looking to help you carry your bag(s) up and down...use your judgement if you use one. There is NO taxi station at this train station....you literally have to go into the busy street to try to hail a cab. With the crush from the train also trying to hail cabs, it is quite a scene.

Having had a driver take me from Hangzhou before, I'd never do it again. The freeway is loaded with trucks, mostly unregulated, overleaded and hazards....and drivers us both shoulders as traffic lanes, cutting in and out constantly.

You will see that train transportation, while cheap, is how most of the populace travels.