FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Grand Hyatt Hangzhou REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Mar 2, 2005, 10:09 pm
Mad4Miles

Programs: AA EXP - 8 MM, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
rbAA, I'm also planning a similar trip (first to Hangzhou, then to Shanghai). What's the transportation like from Hangzhou to Shanghai? Did you take the public train transport? How much did it cost? Comfortable and clean? (I've heard some nightmare experiences traveling by train in China.) Were there any other transport alternatives available?
rbAA and I took the train from Shanghai railroad station to Hangzhou, the train ticket cost ~35 RMB ($4.24) and the taxi ride on both ends was ~20 RMB. Train travel time 2h10m. The train frequency is about every 1 to 2hr

I thought I would try the bus on the return. The bus from Hangzhou to Shanghai/Pudong station cost ~50 RMB with a 10 RMB cab ride back to the Grand Hyatt. Bus travel time 2h20m. The bus frequency is about every 30min.

The bus ride was unnerving. The train seemed much safer. The problem with the train is that the first train, after you arrive at the station, may not have any seats so you will be forced to take a latter train. Also be aware that in China they sell train tickets without seat assignments. You are expected to stand for the duration on the train ride. Give these two facts I would recommend that you have your hotel purchase your train tickets in advance and have them delivered to you at the hotel.

Be sure to allocate at least two full days in Hangzhou to enjoy all beautiful scenery. The best way to explore the lake is by bike.