Old Mar 2, 05, 6:10 pm
jkc22

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
...heard some nightmare experiences traveling by train in China...any other transport alternatives available?
In China, if you are going to cities/towns in the vicinity of "civilization" not reacheable by plane, the easiest is to ask the hotel concierge to arrange for a driver who will drive you back and forth. I once had to leave from Lian Yun Gang (LYG) for Shanghai and the flight was cancelled due to fog and no air service will be available for the next 2-3 days, so I hired a driver immediately for a 5 hour journey to Nanjing and took a flight from there to Shanghai (SHA) instead.....not fun, but that's all I could do....I think the fare paid was less than 600 RMB.....

Surely, Hangzhou, and Suzhou, and etc are closer than Nanjing from Shanghai so should be cheaper. I would also recommend using the same driver for the entire journey, even as far as hiring him for the entire duration....you just have to budget in lodging and meals for him as well (put him in any 2-3 star hotels) and he will pick you up at your palace every morning to go anywhere.......in this way, you get a good "pakage" deal and it's easier to negotiate the price, too.......any Taxi driver will do something like this....as a side job....