FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BMI awards within the UK
View Single Post
Old Feb 27, 2005, 11:54 am
House

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mr. DeMucho
Has anyone ever used MP miles to book a domestic UK award on BMI? At 10,000 miles is it a good value, or am I better to just buy a ticket on BMI? Thinking about going to Scotland during an upcoming trip. Anyone ever been to Glasgow or Edinburgh? Thanks!
Before you book, check your dates using the BMI online booking engine (www.flybmi.com). You may find that your flights are less than $40 round trip before taxes. As you'll have to pay taxes anyway, your 10,000 miles will be worth whatever the fare before taxes is (and you'll get 250 EQM per flight on your mileage plus account)

You can buy tickets online from the BMI website, and enter your mileage plus number. Tickets on UK domestic routes (and most European routes) are etickets, so you just need to show up at check-in with your passport and the credit card used for the booking. BMI also have self service check-in machines at most airports (including London Heathrow, Edinburgh and Glasgow).

Business class is much more expensive, but again for the miles I'm not sure it is worth it - the seat is similar to economy (no extra legroom) though you do get slightly better food (you get free food and drink in economy too).

I would choose Edinburgh rather than Glasgow, especially if your time is short or you have not been to Scotland before - it's a beautiful city and fairly easy to navigate. If you ask over on the BMI forum you should get no shortage of answers on which city is better (there is a BMI forum gathering up in Edinburgh this weekend).